In one of my classes, we're reading Romeo & Juliet, so of course I had to take the opportunity to watch the greatest musical of all time, West Side Story. One of my students however "didn't get it" and claimed that he "didn't believe in musicals" because they couldn't happen in real life. This broke my heart on so many levels, but it got me rethinking about something I think about on an almost-daily basis: how great would life be if it were just one giant musical?
So, I ask you this question now. How great would it be? The answer: it would be EVERYTHING WONDERFUL.
1. When we're born, there would be a HUGE opening number with (hopefully) a tap dance sequence.
2. Going off of that, we would all have some great dance moves. I've had dreams of being a great dancer my whole life, but I've never really excelled due to lack of coordination and balance. However, if life was just a big musical, everyone would have some gravity defying moves. And we would be able to express everything we feel through those moves.
3. Instead of waving at each other, we would just use jazz hands for every greeting or to emphasize any point ever.
4. My randomly breaking out into songs that don't exist wouldn't be seen as weird anymore. In fact, everyone would do it. And it is my personal belief that if everyone just sang all the time, the world would be a much happier place. I really, truly believe that.
5. Whenever anything bad happened to us, we would just sing a dark reprise of a previously happy song we've sung earlier in life. When in doubt of what to say, always go for a reprise.
6. Aaron Tveit would just follow me around all the time singing to and with me. And then we'd get married, obviously, and live happily ever after. It would totally happen...if life were a musical.
What I'm trying to say here is that there would be so much more joy in life if it was all just a musical. I mean, I'm not being unrealistic here, I know this will never actually happen and that it's a thing of my dreams. However, I do believe that we could all use a little more song and dance in our lives, so don't be afraid to break out into a tune or show off a little feet-work every once in a while.